Universal Audio Apollo x16 Heritage Edition Audio Interface w/ Sphere L22 Microphone
This product has been discontinued.
Universal Audio Apollo x16 Heritage Edition 18x20 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface
16 Channels of Elite Audio Conversion, HEXA Core Processing, and Surround Sound Monitoring.
The flagship Apollo x16 allows music producers, project, and post-production studios to track, overdub, and mix with elite-class A/D and D/A conversion, HEXA Core UAD plug-in processing, Dual-Crystal clocking, and 7.1 surround sound monitoring — all in a sleek rackmount Thunderbolt 3 audio interface for Mac or Windows.
Built upon UA’s 60-year heritage of audio craftsmanship, this 18 x 20 interface delivers the widest dynamic range (133 dB) and lowest THD+N (-129 dB) of any integrated audio interface on the market, all-new HEXA Core processing — yielding 50% more DSP for running acclaimed UAD Powered Plug-Ins in real time — plus it includes LUNA Recording System, giving you a fully-integrated music production application.
- Record with UA’s flagship A/D and D/A conversion — providing the widest dynamic range and lowest noise available, at any price
- Easily connect to professional studio gear with 16 x 16 analog I/O via DB-25 connections, plus switchable +24 dBu headroom settings
- Mix with powerful HEXA Core processing, featuring 6 UAD DSP chips for running more UAD Powered Plug-Ins in real time
- Includes LUNA Recording System — a fully-integrated and inspiring music production application
UA’s Flagship A/D and D/A Conversion
With thousands of chart-topping songs and hundreds of Grammy-winning albums under their belt, Apollo interfaces are no strangers to tracking stellar-sounding records. To improve on the previous generation Apollo interface’s class-leading audio conversion, UA engineers obsessively auditioned the latest A/D and D/A converters — ultimately pairing elite-class 24-bit/192 kHz converters with all-new analog circuitry for an ultra-pristine signal path. The Apollo X series also introduces new Dual-Crystal clocking — featuring dedicated crystals for 44.1/88.2/176.4k and 48/96/192k sample rates — resulting in stunningly low jitter, measured at less than 10 picoseconds. This translates into pure, artifact-free recordings and solid stereo imaging you can trust. With 133 dB dynamic range and THD+N of -129 dB, the Apollo x16’s open, natural sound quality bests every interface in its class — regardless of price — and is the perfect starting point for applying UAD processing.
Realtime UAD HEXA Core Processing
Apollo x16 features new HEXA Core processing, with six DSP chips and 50% more UAD plug-in processing power than previous Apollos. This lets you run more UAD plug-ins, whether you’re tracking in real time with channel strips from Neve, Manley, or API, or running high UAD plug-in counts when mixing in your DAW. From the tube warmth of Pultec EQs on guitars to the musical tube limiting of the LA-2A on vocals, or the pump of a genuine 1176 or Fairchild 670 tube compressor on drums, your recordings will take a giant leap forward with a rich, three-dimensional analog sound that UAD plug‑ins provide.
Going beyond the included Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-ins, Apollo x16 lets you tap into the full UAD Powered Plug-In library of legendary vintage EQs, compressors, reverbs, tape machines, channel strips, and more — at near-zero latency, regardless of your audio software’s buffer size and without taxing your computer’s CPU.
With exclusive emulations from SSL, Neve, Studer, Manley, Helios, API, Ampex, Lexicon, Fender, and more,† it’s like having a studio full of iconic analog gear, in a single rack space. And unlike competing interfaces, these award-winning DSP-powered plug-ins are also available in your DAW for mixing.
Surround Sound, Talkback, and More
The Apollo x16 features built-in front-panel monitoring functions including a Talkback mic, Alt Speakers, and assignable Dim or Mono control. Plus, with its comprehensive 7.1 surround monitoring support, Apollo x16 is a boon for engineers and producers working on audio and music for video games, television, and the web. In addition, Apollo x16 offers selectable +24 dBu operation for out-of-the-box compatibility with professional mixing consoles and other high-end pro audio equipment.
Build an Expanded Studio System Over Thunderbolt
Apollo x16 offers 18 x 20 simultaneous inputs/outputs (16 x 16 analog I/O) and two built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports. This allows users of any Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin or Apollo rackmount audio interfaces to easily combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices — adding fast, high-bandwidth I/O and DSP as your studio grows.
Available as Apollo Heritage Edition
Featuring 10 premium UAD titles — including complete plug‑in Collections of our award-winning Teletronix, UA 1176, and Fairchild compressors, Helios Type 69 and UA 610 mic preamps, Pultec EQs, and more.
Helios Type 69 Preamp & EQ Collection
The Helios Type 69 Console was the desk employed to record masterpieces by Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, and more. This stunning plug‑in collection lets you shape your tracks with legendary Type 69 midrange push, and tweak low-end character with uniquely voiced low-frequency boost and cut filters.
Based on a classic German tube mic preamp developed more than 70 years ago, the V76 Preamplifier plug‑in gives you an amazingly rich tone with gentle shaping that's perfect for nearly every source — vocals, acoustic guitars, strings, drums, or bass — and is Unison-enabled for use with Apollo interfaces.
Oxide Tape Recorder
Easily inject the warm color, punchy low-end response, and cohesion of large format analog tape recording to your tracks with Oxide Tape Recorder plug-in. Simple Input/Output controls, 7.5 and 15 IPS Tape Speed selection, and two emphasis curves let you quickly call up colorful and extremely authentic tape textures.
Teletronix LA‑3A Audio Leveler
A "secret weapon" capable of moving sounds right to the front of your speakers, this solid-state electro‑optical compressor lets you easily add energy and harmonics to vocals and acoustic guitars, make snare drums pop out of the mix, and add grit and texture to bass guitar and soft synths.
Fairchild Tube Limiter Collection
Born in the 1950s, Fairchilds are extremely rare and coveted audio compressors. From the flagship 670, a stereo compressor that injects vibe and color to your stereo bus, to the smaller 660 — perfect for adding power to piano, bass, and guitar — this collection offers the same silky sonics that helped shape records by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and countless Motown artists.
Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection
The LA-2A is the first-choice compressor for sublime optical tube compression. This collection gives you three landmark plug‑in versions of the classic Teletronix LA-2A hardware, perfect for smooth dynamics control of vocals, bass, drums and more.
Pultec Passive EQ Collection
Pultec passive tube-based equalizers are the gold standard in warm, musical equalization. This collection gives you all three Pultec equalizers with their uncanny boosting and tightening effects — especially ideal on vocals, bass guitar, and kick drums.
1176 Classic Limiter Collection
The 1176 is many producers' “desert island\" compressor — adding its signature character and ultra-fast FET limiting to create punchy drums, platinum-sounding vocals, and fat bass, guitar, and keyboard tracks. This Collection gives you access to three distinct 1176 emulations, and is widely regarded as the world's most authentic 1176 plug‑in collection.
Pure Plate Reverb
Easily add natural depth and shimmer with UA's renowned plate reverb modeling. Pure Plate Reverb lets you quickly harness the organic sound of this classic effect on vocals, guitars, strings, and synths, giving you a lush, satisfying space that gently flatters any source.
UA 610 Tube Preamp & EQ Collection
UA's iconic 610 tube preamps offer rich harmonic detail and warmth, making everything they touch feel instantly "classic." The Unison-enabled 610-A and 610-B models in this collection let you craft vocal, guitar, and bass tracks with the presence, warmth, and body heard on records ranging from Ray Charles to Arcade Fire to Van Halen.
Townsend Labs Sphere L22 Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone Modeling System
Record with the greatest mics ever made.
The Sphere L22 modeling microphone system gives you the sound of classic mics used by everyone from The Beatles and Beyoncé to Radiohead and Frank Sinatra.
Grab the Keys to the Ultimate Mic Locker
Featuring 34 legendary mic models of Neumann, Telefunken, AKG, Sony, and more,* the Sphere L22 gives your productions the most sought-after ribbon, condenser, and dynamic microphones ever made.
Find your Perfect Mic in Real Time with Apollo
The Sphere L22 lets you audition classic mic types before, during, and after recording with any interface in any DAW. And when paired with an Apollo interface, you can do this with near-zero latency.
Get Big Stereo Sound from a Single Mic
Thanks to its dual-capsule design, the Sphere L22 lets you easily record piano, drums, strings, and more in stereo. You can even use different mic models on the left and right channels for professional acoustic guitar recordings.
Built to Last a Lifetime
With dual gold-sputtered diaphragms and the lowest noise of any mic in its class, the Sphere L22 outfits your studio with a premium, large-diaphragm condenser microphone, precision-built to deliver years of inspiration for your music, podcasts, and voiceovers.
Includes Everything you Need to Record
Right out of the box, the Sphere L22 mic gives you a professional shockmount, 10' cable, mic stand mount, and rugged flight case — so you'll be creating with the sound of legendary mics in no time.
- Record with 34 of the most sought-after ribbon, condenser, and dynamic microphones ever made
- Change mic type, polar pattern, and other microphone characteristics, even after tracking
- Record acoustic guitar, strings, horns, and more in stereo with a single microphone
- Get the ultimate mic modeling system with a large-diaphragm condenser mic featuring dual gold-sputtered diaphragms and the lowest noise of any mic in its class
- Includes shockmount, mic stand mount, 10’ cable, and flight case
Universal Audio Apollo x16 Heritage Edition 18x20 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface
- 18 x 20 Thunderbolt 3 audio interface with class-leading 24-bit/192 KHz conversion (backwards compatible with Thunderbolt 1 & 2 on Mac)
- HEXA Core Realtime UAD Processing for tracking through UAD plug-ins at near-zero latency, regardless of audio buffer size
- Produce with LUNA Recording System — a fully-integrated recording application made for Apollo (Mac/Thunderbolt)
- Surround monitor controller up to 7.1 format
- Includes the "Realtime Analog Classics Plus" UAD plug-in bundle. Other UAD plug-ins sold separately.
- UAD-2 HEXA Core processing onboard for additional mixing horsepower for Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, and other major DAWs
- Combine up to 4 Thunderbolt-equipped Apollos and 6 total UAD devices
- Selectable +24 dBu operation for easy compatibility with professional mixing consoles and tape machines
- Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, Talkback mic, and assignable Dim or Mono
- Uncompromising UA analog design, superior components, and premium build quality
- Free, industry-leading technical support — on the phone and online — from knowledgeable audio engineers
- Line Inputs (DB25): 16 Balanced via (2) 25-pin D-sub
- Digital Inputs (XLR): AES/EBU: 2 channels @ 44.1 – 192 kHz
A to D Conversion
- Line Inputs Dynamic Range: 124 dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -115 dB (0.00018%)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.05 dB
- Line Outputs (DB25): 16 Balanced via (2) 25-pin D-sub
- Monitor Outputs (XLR): 2 Balanced (Left/Right)
- Digital Outputs (XLR): AES/EBU: 2 channels @ 44.1 – 192 kHz
D to A Conversion
- Dynamic Range: 127 dB (A-weighted)
- THD+N: -123 dB (0.00007%)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.02 dB
- Dynamic Range: 133 dB
THD+N: -129 dB (0.00004%)
Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.02 dB