Moog Grandmother Dark Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer and Step Sequencer
Explore a vast array of sonic possibilities through analog interconnectivity.
Grandmother is a sonic playground that harkens back to Moog’s modular roots, where synthesis is not only about the end result, but the journey of discovery and experimentation. While capable of highly complex sounds and modulation, Grandmother's semi-modular design requires absolutely no patching, ensuring that human beings of any skill-level can easily explore and experience the joys and magic of analog synthesis.
Inspired by the classic Moog modular synthesizers that came before it, Grandmother's sound engine, modulation engine and onboard spring reverb tank are completely analog, resulting in an unrestricted sonic vocabulary of immeasurable beauty and power. In addition, Grandmother also features an easy to use Arpeggiator and Sequencer for added enjoyment and programmable syncopation.
Though not required, creative patching and exploration are the keys to discovering exciting new relationships between modules and to truly unlocking Grandmother’s infinite expanse of auditory inspiration. Patching can also be used to override internal connections, allowing each section to function just as an independent module would.
In addition to its standalone function, Grandmother is also an ideal analog audio processor for external sound sources, and a powerful keyboard front end for expanding a Mother-32, DFAM or Eurorack modular system.
Adrian Younge's Thesis On Sound
To explore the sonic possibilities and cosmic context of Grandmother, Moog Music visited the Linear Labs studio of artist-composer Adrian Younge (Black Dynamite, Netflix’s Luke Cage).
In this video, Younge gives his personal “Thesis On Sound” while incorporating Grandmother into his retro-inspired creative workflow at Linear Labs.
- TYPE: Semi-Modular Analog Synthesizer
- SOUND ENGINE: Analog
- NUMBER OF KEYS: 32 Full-Size Keys
- TYPE OF KEYS: Velocity-sensing (Velocity signal is not hard-wired – available via MIDI and KBD VEL OUT jack)
- OTHER CONTROLLERS: Pitch Bend, Mod Wheel, Variable Glide
- POLYPHONY: Monophonic
- SOUND SOURCES: 2 Oscillators with selectable Waveforms (Oscillator 2
- supports Sync to Oscillator 1 plus linear FM), 1 White Noise Generator,
- External Input jack
- VCF FILTER (LOW PASS): -24dB/Octave Moog Ladder Filter with Resonance (Self-Oscillating)
- STATIC FILTER (HIGH PASS): -6dB/Octave
- MOD SOURCES: Modulation Oscillator (Sine, Sawtooth, Ramp, Square), S/H Output, plus Envelope and Key Tracking
- ENVELOPE: Four-Stage (ADSR)
- ATTENUATOR: Bipolar
- MULT: Four Parallel-wired Non-buffered Patch Points
- EFFECTS: Spring Reverb
- ARPEGGIATOR / STEP SEQUENCER: (256 Steps; three Sequence Files)
- PATCH POINTS:: 41 x 3.5mm front and rear panels, 21 Inputs, 16 Outputs, 4 Parallel-wired Mults.
- AUDIO INPUT: One 1/4” TS jack (Rear Panel)
- AUDIO OUTPUT: One 1/4” TRS jack for headphones or line level output (Rear Panel)
- MIDI I/O: 5-pin DIN In, Out, Thru; plus MIDI over USB (Rear Panel)
- DIMENSIONS: 23” (54.82cm) Wide x 14 1/4” (36.19cm) Deep x 5 1/2” (13.97cm) High
- POWER: Included Power Adapter 12V DC (positive tip), 2A, 100 to 240
- Volts AC, 50/60Hz
- WEIGHT: 16lbs. / 7.25kg