Maxon CP101 Compressor Guitar Effect Pedal
Every guitarist loves the idea of a compressor, until they plug one in and find that it colors their tone, ruins their pick attack and is noisy as hell.
The CP101 is the perfect solution for players who need a compressor that doesn’t get in the way of their tone. Its optical circuit has a slow, smooth reaction time that allows your initial note attack to pass through without being compressed, creating a more natural picking feel.
The CP101’s 4:1 compression ratio is so subtle that it’s easy to forget that it’s on – until you turn it off, that is. While it is on, you’ll notice note levels that are smoother and more consistent, chords and arpeggios that are tighter and more focused, and sustain that will last for days.
One thing you won’t notice is the hiss and noise associated with VCA compressors – the CP101 has one of the lowest noise floors available in a stompbox Compressor, even with its Level and Compression controls set to max.
With its natural picking response, transparent effect and low-noise operation, the Maxon CP101 is the perfect compressor for players who hate using compressors.
At the heart of the CP101’s circuit sits a single CdS (Cadmium Sulfur) Photocoupler. This light-sensitive component varies resistance based on the input signal to control the amp gain, increasing level as the input signal weakens.
Many other compressors accomplish this task using a VCA (voltage controlled amplifier), but the multiple transistors packed into a VCA inevitably lead to high noise levels, which means lots of “hiss” from your rig. The CP101’s optical circuit keeps the noise floor low - so low that you can even run it after a distortion and still retain near-silent operation.
The CP101 features buffered, JFET bypass switching with a low impedance output, allowing it to drive long cable lengths or other effect units without loss of signal.
- Optical compressor with hand-selected photocoupler
- Subtle, transparent compression - doesn’t alter pick attack
- Ultra-low noise floor
- The compressor for players that don’t like compressors!
- Input Impedance: 500K Ohms
- Input Jack: 1/4 inch standard phone jack
- Output Impedance: 10K Ohms
- Output Jack: 1/4 inch standard phone jack
- Output: 1
- Controls: Sustain, Level
- Switch: Normal/Effect
- Max Input Level: 2 dBu
- Max Output Level: 0 dBu
- Noise (IHF-A): -110 dBu
- Max Compression: 42 dB
- Power Supply: 9V Manganese dry cell battery (S-006P) or special AC adaptor
- Power Voltage: DC9 V (Battery) / DC10 V (AC-adaptor)
- Current Consumption: 11 mA (9V) / 12 mA (10 V)
- AC Adaptor: AC210N (option) Input: AC120V Output: DC9V/200 mA Center - / Sleeve +)
- Dimensions (main body): 61 mm (W) x 112 mm (D) x 35 mm (H)
- Dimensions (whole): 70 mm (W) x 112 mm (D) x 55 mm (H)
- Weight: 270 g
- Accessories: 9V Manganese dry cell battery (S-006P) x 1
- Non-skid pad: x 1
- Warranty Card: x 1
- User's Manual: x 1