Lauten Audio LS-408 Snare Mic FET Condenser Microphone for Snare Drums
Snare drums are the lifeblood of music. The materials, tuning, and way they are played tell us exactly how and what we should feel about a composition. Snare drums should be honored, but instead, they are often poorly recorded, heavily manipulated, or replaced entirely for various reasons.
Snare Mic is the only purpose-built FET condenser microphone made explicitly for snare drums. It ensures that each snare drum's distinct characteristics, impact, tone, and dynamics are captured with sample-quality sound at the microphone. Snare Mic’s frequency response, SPL handling, and ultra-high dynamic range are made to ensure chest-pounding fundamental frequencies, tangible timbre, and explosively musical top-end impact with every note. Add on Snare Mic’s ability to reject up to 28dB of off-axis sounds, and you get professional, mix-ready results straight out of the box.
MASSIVE SOUND. MINIMIZED BLEED
Snare Mic captures a snare drum's true impact, body, and timbre while rejecting up to 28dB of off-axis sounds. This means clear, mix-ready sonics with optimal phase coherence straight out of the microphone.
ONE AND DONE
A single Snare Mic can replace the traditional multi-mic setup needed to capture the full spectrum of a snare drum. Its 3D sound even lets you hear the bottom snares through the top head when Snare Mic is placed at lower positional angles.
SMALL BUT MIGHTY
At only 4.2 inches, placement on even the most densely populated drum kit becomes effortless. And its vibration-resistant capsule means Snare Mic is ideal for both stand and rim-mounted applications.
MADE FOR REAL-WORLD USE
A solid brass headframe with a mildew-resistant dust filter protects Snare Mic from stick hits, dust, and debris on stage or in the studio.
EVERY SNARE EVERY TIME
Snare Mic is not an instrument mic that works on snare drums. It is purpose-built to ensure the best snare drum sound in every situation, regardless of player, snare type, or location.
Snare Mic’s hand-tuned capsule and dual-bias circuitry are based on the same technologies utilized in Lauten Audio’s award-winning Synergy Series microphones.
ONBOARD SOUND SHAPING:
Snare Mic’s filters differ from those found on a mixing console, preamp, or DAW. Their impact on sonics and overall performance is much more significant than the labeling may lead you to believe.
- Flat High Cut – Snare Mic’s unaltered high-frequency response is designed for mix-ready sound. It maximizes stick crack and playing dynamics while delivering open, lifelike top-end air.
- 12kHz High Cut – Smooth out high-end for a dynamic microphone-style sound. This setting balances the microphone's sound and adds a dip after 7kHz to help reduce cymbal bleed, followed by a slight increase from 12kHz-15kHz to help maintain a natural, open snare attack.
- 5kHz High Cut – Reduce extreme bleed caused by cymbal or stage volume. This setting creates a much smoother response from 1kHz-7kHz, with a slight rise in the 5-7kHz range, followed by an immediate drop-off after 7kHz so that more character, presence, and attack can be EQ’d back into a sound without accentuating problematic high-frequency information.
- Flat Low Cut- Allow all low-frequency information to pass for chest-pounding bottom-end with each snare strike.
- 80Hz Low Cut – Reduce low-frequency spillover from kick drums and toms while adding a slight presence boost to the sound of your snare drum.
- 140Hz Low Cut – Retain the presence boost of your snare drum’s fundamental frequency while significantly reducing phase incoherence and spillover from kick drums and toms.
IN THE BOX
- Snare Mic
- Articulating Hard Mount
- Cordura Padded Bag
- Type: End-address pressure gradient FET condenser
- Capsule: 32mm
- Polar Patterns: Cardioid
- Response: 20Hz-20KHz
- High Pass Filter: Flat / 80Hz / 140Hz
- Low Pass Filter: Flat / 5kHz / 12kHz
- Dynamic Range: 135dB minimum
- SPL Handling: >135DB (0.5%THD@1000Hz)
- Impedance: >150 ohms
- Self-noise level: < 15dB-A
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 79dB
- Sensitivity: -66.0dBV/Pa (0dB=1V/Pa 1KHz)
- Connector: 3-pin XLR
- Power: Requires 48v Phantom Power
- Dimensions: 109 x 50mm (mic only) 112 x 71mm (with mount)
- Weight: 309g (mic only) 407g (with mount)