Ernie Ball Music Man StingRay 5 Special 5-String Bass, Roasted Maple Fretboard, Frost Green Pearl
This gorgeous StingRay Special in a beautiful Frost Green Pearl finish is a modern take on a classic, yet revolutionary bass. After Leo Fender sold Fender to CBS, he went to work for Music Man and paired up with the late, great Mr. Thunder Thumbs himself, Louis Johnson. Together, they came up with a bass that had a more pronounced hi-mid range and treble response. It needed to growl and cut through the mix in a way that old-school P & J basses simply could not. The result was an active bass with a ton of power under the hood. Used in everything from disco, funk, and R&B to rock, punk, metal, blues, and even country, the StingRay has some killer in-your-face tone that still manages to avoid stepping on anyone else's toes. It has tremendous resonance, incomparably tight lows and a punchy top end that's a total knockout.
The neck is very comfortable and satiny smooth with the gun oil finish, which makes for a comfortable feel and a fast ride all the way up and down. This is one of those instruments that's put together well enough to let you feel every little vibration of every note you play. The layout is easy to work with yet provides a wide variety of exceptional tones. This axe will make a killer companion on the road and in the studio.
The first bass designed by Ernie Ball Music Man, the StingRay 5 was unveiled in 1987 and has been an industry standard for extended range basses ever since. With its powerful punchy sound, the added flexibility of additional pickups, and a comfortably contoured body, the StingRay 5 satisfies even the most demanding of players.
- Neodymium Humbucking Pickups
- 18 Volt, 3 band EQ active preamp
- Roasted maple neck and compensated nut
Rebuilt From The Ground Up.
Optimized, modernized, yet so familiar, the new StingRay bass is tailor-made for today’s most discerning players.
5-Bolt Sculpted Neck Joint
The sculpted neck joint provides uninhibited access to all 22 stainless steel frets atop roasted maple necks.
Refined Body Contours
Enhanced body contours are rounded for more comfort in any playing position while retaining that revered, iconic StingRay sound.
Powerful Neodymium Pickups
The new and improved StingRay electronics feature powerful neodymium magnets, bringing you more output and a wider range of sounds
New 18-Volt Preamp
A newly designed 18-volt 3-Band preamp for extra clean headroom lets you dial in everything from modern punch to classic, vintage tones.
The overall reduction in weight is a much-welcomed feature of the new Stingray Special. Select body woods, improved contours, and lightweight hardware provide greater overall balance for extra comfort and a more enjoyable playing experience.
Reengineered lightweight tuning machines create a more balanced neck while still providing ultra-reliable tuning stability.
- Model: StingRay Special
- Body Wood: Select Hardwoods
- Body Finish: Gloss
- Body Color: Frost Green Pearl
- Scale Length: 34" (86.4 cm)
- Neck Radius: 11" (27.9 cm)
- Frets: 22 - High profile, wide
- Neck Wood: Select roasted maple neck
- Fingerboard: Roasted Maple
- Fret Markers: Black Dots
- Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
- Neck Attachment: 5 bolt, sculpted neck joint
- Tuning Machines: Custom Music Man, lightweight with tapered string posts and ergonomic clover design
- Bridge: Vintage Music Man top loaded chrome plated, steel bridge plate with vintage nickel plated steel saddles
- Electronic Shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum lined pickguard
- Controls: 3-band active preamp with 18 volts of headroom; vol, treble, mid, bass
- Pickups: Standard - Single Humbucking with Neodymium magnets
- Strings: 45w-65w-80w-100w-130w (Regular Slinky Bass #2836)
- Case: Gig Bag
- Instrument Weight: 9.6 lbs
- Serial #: F99860
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized dealer for Music Man. This StingRay Special is 100% brand new and is being sold with a full manufacturer's warranty. Photos are of the exact bass you'll receive.
Our in-house bass tech will inspect, test, set up, and clean all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.